25 Best Cat Litter Reviews & Buying Guide 2020
- Posted by - Editor
- On -
Cats are either in the ‘I love you hooman’ or ‘I hate you, human’ zone. There is no in-between. Living with a cat can be a refreshing experience or a troublesome routine. It all depends on how you pamper, treat, and love your cat. While that is said, not everything about them will be your favorite.
For instance, the bathroom habits of a cat. If you have an OCD problem and cannot tolerate your cat spoiling the ambiance of your house, you have to buy the best cat litter.
Cats with their warm presence, cute purring, tiny tail hugs, and cute eyes can steal your hearts. And you can keep them healthy, disciplined, and organized with the help of the best cat litter varieties in the market.
Here are a few good options to choose from and also, a proper guide to help you make the right purchase!
Best 25 Cat Litter – Reviews
Just like we humans learn, walking, talking, and eating slowly, cats also develop their habits on observation and a tad bit of teaching. Cat litter is made from sand, clay, or even newspaper. Even if you get the best cat litter and place it in the bathroom, you have to teach your cat to go and use it.
This list of the best cat litter variants will help you identify the one that rightly suits your household.
1. Ultra Premium Multi-Cat Clump Litter box by Dr.Elsey’s
The best cat litter should be suitable for a household and also comfortable for the cat to use. This product can be used for more than one cat and it is made of 99% natural ingredients. The clay granules are medium-sized and stick together. Along with other natural fine granules, they are going to fit in perfectly into your litter box. The excreted content will not sink to the bottom and the granules trap it before it can touch the ground. You can easily empty this into the dustbin without cracking and mishap.
- Doesn’t produce any dust.
- Suitable for mechanical litter boxes
- Clumps don’t break while emptying it
- Useful for more than one cat in the house
- Produces no odor
- The granules have a smell of their own
- Clay is sticky when it is wet
2. Non-clumping and Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Tray Refills – PetSafe
There is no fear of the clump breaking during disposal or accidental leakages. The granules of the litter have no odor of their own. You don’t have to replace it often because of its self-clean technology. The immediate scooping is an absolute delight for people who don’t want to deal with cat waste for a long time.
- It guarantees 99% dust-free experience
- Self-cleaning litter box
- No fear of clumping as you can remove the entire tray
- You can use it for a week
- You can load the tray within a minute
- Not scented like other products from the same brand.
- The crystals stick to the cat’s feet and not so low tracking like they claim
3. Good Scoop Low-tracking Arm & Hammer Litter
Not all cats are going to love the scent that comes out of their litter boxes. In that case, a no-scent alternative that keeps the house odor-free and clean is needed. This litter is a combination of baking soda and ammonia that keep the odor as far away as possible.
- Clumps do not break during disposal
- No artificial scent
- Dust-free and safe
- Granule size is big
- Starts to give out bad odor on extended use
- All Cats are not going to be comfortable with baking soda
4. Breeze Cat Litter
This cat litter is a very good alternative solution for those who are fed up with self-cleaning litter boxes. Though the sellers promise good experience, the self-cleaning ones can fail and create more mess. Breeze cat litter has three-stage sifting action and the fluid waste is nicely absorbed. The solid waste loses water and this makes the scooping much easier. The pellets are soft and do not make you cat whine either.
- Made of good quality pellets
- Good scoop and easy disposal
- Can be used for more than one cat
- Doesn’t allow odor to spread
- Cats may not find the pellets comfortable
- The large pellet size can sometimes pose problems with the scooping.
5. Healthy Pet ökocat – A Healthier clean Clumping Cat Litter made of Natural Wood
The best cat litter can be made from clay or any other biodegradable material that won’t irritate your cat. The clumping and non-clumping action has to be on point and proper scooping must happen. This product by Healthy Pet is a masterpiece when it comes to making biodegradable cat litter that keeps your cat healthy and also your environment safe.
- Solid clumps allow quick scoping
- Quick absorption of liquid waste and dehydration of solid waste
- Conceals the bad odor
- Made of natural and biodegradable natural wood
- Will last for a week
- On the pricey end
- Litter needs to be thick and deep or else the urine sinks to the bottom.
- After 5 or 6 days, you can smell mild faecal odor.
6. Garfield Cat Litter All Natural
Garfield is our favorite cat! That puffy orange ball fills our hearts with love and the brand understands that. Seeing how the wonder cat is their brand mascot, they also design products keeping the health of you and your cat in mind. Their ingredients are eco friendly and long-lasting. This is a great solution for those whose cats look for litter boxes that have the sand-like consistency.
- No clump breaking
- Fine granules that don’t hurt the cat
- No artificial chemicals and biodegradable – made of corn and cassava.
- No odor and dust-free
- Not suitable for long haired cats as the granules can stick to their bodies
- Pricey if you want to buy for the use of more than two cats.
7. Weruva’s Hinoki Wood, Green Tea Cat Litter – Natural made
The best cat litter is the one that will take your feline friend closer to nature without causing any harm. This naturally made, clumping cat litter helps to conceal odor and also releases a soothing green tea aroma.
- It is hypoallergenic in nature without clay and large grains in the formulation
- It is flush-able
- Conceals bad odor and gives green tea smell
- Natural ingredients like Hinoki wood and green tea are used.
- One bag lasts for at least a month
- It is expensive compared to other clumping litter in the market
- Fine particles track all over the house
- Not suitable for cats who hate scent
8. Rufus & Coco Natural Clumping Cat Litter – WeeKitty
Made with the natural goodness of corn, this flushable clumping litter is going to solve all your cleaning troubles and will also keep your cat away from harmful chemicals. The lightweight product is the best cat litter for families with more cats.
- It is biodegradable and eco-friendly
- It is flushable and doesn’t block your drain
- It will conceal bad ammonia smell after defecation.
- Absorbs well and has very lightweight
- The thick litter consistency is not what all cats will like
- Produces dust
- After usage of a week, the corn smell is overbearing
9. Multi-Cat sWheat Scoop Mother Nature’s Cat Litter
What comes from the ground goes back to the ground in this naturally made cat litter. Without the help of any harmful chemicals, this wheat-based product hides the odor perfectly. The clumping action will make the disposal easier than the others.
- The wheat-based formulation naturally hides the bad odor with noble ion technology
- It is completely recyclable and eco-friendly
- No traces of artificial scent or chemicals
- Good clumping action than others in the market
- The particle size is small and flushable
- It is sticky when wet and glues to the litter box
- It is not anti-tracking
- Cannot be scooped properly.
10. Naturally Safe World’s Best Cat Litter with Clumping Formula
This is one of the best brands to check out if you are looking for something long-lasting and effective. Be it hiding the smell, treating your cat well or improving the replacement process, this best cat litter will make you fall in love with it.
- It is unscented but still controls harsh odor
- Good scooping and lightweight
- It clumps easily and properly
- It does not produce dust
- It doesn’t block your drains when you flush it
- One bag lasts around 4 months for a single cat
- It is made of corn so some cats might consume it
- It is trackable if your cat has big fur.
11. World’s Best Lavender Scented Cat Litter
Lavender has a soothing smell and is completely harmless for your cat as long as you are not talking about essential oils. The long-lasting odor inhibition will keep your house refreshing and your cat happy.
- Keeps the odor in control
- Very good clumping and absorbing
- No dust and less tracking
- It is flushable
- Eco friendly and recyclable – made of kernel corn
- Not suitable for cats with respiratory problem or lavender allergy
- Carb loving cats might consume it
12. Arm & Hammer – Odour Control Clumping Cat Litter
The main agenda of this best cat litter is to keep the foul smell as far away from your house as possible. The neutralization of odor is quick and also, cleaning is much more easier and mess-free
- Odor elimination is on point
- Easy scooping because of hard clump formation
- Suitable for automatic litter boxes
- Small granule size that won’t irritate your cat
- Reasonable price
- It is scented and the smell can be overbearing
- You have to replace it in one or two weeks even for a single cat
13. Platinum SlideClumping Cat Litter – Arm & Hammer, Multi-Cat
This clay litter just clumps and slides out of your litter box, making it really easy to clean and scrub the litter tray after usage. A variant of the previously mentioned cat litter, this one uses baking soda to mask the foul smell of cat waste.
- More odor elimination because of baking soda
- The clumping is very good and slides as promised
- You don’t have to scrub and struggle with litter tray after disposal
- No dust production
- Only guarantees 7-day usage for a single cat
- Slightly scented but not mentioned on the package
14. Cat’s Pride’s Premium Scoopable Litter for Multi Cats
Say bye to the lingering dust clouds and also to the smell that destroys the welcoming vibes of your house. This product is great for those people who have more than one cat at home and want to deliver the best for all of them.
- Hard clumping litter makes disposal easy
- It has a mild and relaxing scent that doesn’t agitate your cat
- Useful for houses with multi cats
- It is made of natural clay that won’t hurt your cats paws
- Clumps develop molds if you don’t clean up on time
15. Fresh Newspaper non-clump Cat Litter
This is one of the best cat litter from the non-clumping category. It is made of recycled newspaper and does everything to absorb the wet waste, not leave an odor behind and also enable easy removal of the waste pellets.
- Has baking soda that reduces bad smell
- It is hypoallergenic in nature
- The newspaper pellets are soft and do not hurt the cat
- No tracking
- Resealable package to save in your storage cupboard
- Scooping is messy because of the size of the newspaper pellets.
16. Fresh Step Advanced Extreme Clumping Cat Litter with Odor Control
Fresh Step Odor Control litter is designed to keep the bad odor away by masking it with the good scent of Mountain Spring. It limits the growth of bacteria around the faecal matter and also guarantees at least 10 days of no change experience.
- You can scoop the litter without any hindrances
- The package has sealable bags for storage
- Produces relatively less dust
- Reduces bacterial growth and prevents ammonia formation
- Suitable for automatic litter boxes
- It is a little pricey
- The litter is heavy
- The fragrance is not activated when your cat steps in – exaggerated claim.
17. Nature’s Miracle Intense Odor control Clumping Litter
The first thing you’ll notice about this clumping litter is the package. It is saved in a can with a red cap and you can easily lift it up with the handle. This litter moisturizes your cat’s paws, bentonite doesn’t irritate them, and lastly, kicks that bad smell away.
- Good choice if your cat urinates a lot
- Can be used in households with multiple cats
- Bentonite clay moisturizes cat paw
- Prevents ammonia formation and stops the spread of bad odor
- Handy packaging
- Clumping is not up to the mark. Scooping is inconvenient
- It is not non-dust
18. PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Non-Clumping Cat Litter – Blue Crystal
The mesmerizing blue color of these crystals might attract your cat in the right way. The non-clumping nature is very useful if you’ve recently started to train your cat. It is compatible with any litter tray and fits in well in any household.
- It has a nice and pleasant scent
- It quickly dries the solid waste
- It is low tracking unless your cat has really long fur
- It will last for a month for a cat
- The crystals only partially absorb the fluid waste
- The crystals are hard against the paws.
19. Dr. Elsey’s Clay and Natural Herbs Multi-Cat Litter
Without compromising on the quality, you can get one of the best cat litter from Dr. Elsey’s. The brand knows how to keep the cats and their parents happy. This variant of cat litter is made of the finest form of clay and natural herbs that will nourish your cat’s paws and also keep the odor away.
- The clumping action is brilliant
- The odor control is satisfactory
- It is very useful for multi-cat homes
- It is hypoallergenic
- Cats with respiratory problems will find a relief with the low dust design
- If your cat urinates a lot, the litter becomes wet and sticks to the tray or box
- The particles have a slight scent of their own – not completely unscented like it claims.
20. Boxiecat Extra Strength Premium Clumping Cat Litter
This is one of the best cat litter that the veterinarians will suggest for. Rightly tested and formulated under expert guidance, this clay litter will do everything to keep your house odor-free and your cat safe and healthy.
- The odor is very mild and less even after multiple scooping
- It lasts for long and can be used for multiple cats
- The litter prevents bad bacterial growth and has good probiotics infused in it.
- Good clumping
- It lacks any natural scent or dyes
- The litter is heavy though the particles are fine
- Not completely dust-free like it claims
21. Ever Clean Unscented Cat Litter
The Ever clean litter will leave you with an ever refreshing experience. The brand pays keen attention towards designed cat litter that is desirable and also destroys bacterial and mold growth. The natural plant extracts keep the odor in control
- Very good clumping unlike other brands
- No or very minimal tracking
- Perfect odor control if you maintain it well
- Scooping can be done conveniently
- It is long-lasting – a month at least
- It is not dust free
- It is heavy
22. Pawdestined Crystals Cat Litter
Another good brand that offers non-clumping litter. The cute crystals will attract your cat and it will be easier for you to litter train them. It has mini channels on the granule surface for quick absorption. And yes, it’s done satisfactorily.
- Absolutely no dust or tracking
- Very good absorption of liquid waste
- The solid waste dries up quickly
- It can be used for about a month
- Not all cats will like the hard crystals
- Not very happy with the odor control
23. Dr. Elsey’s Hard Clumping Cat Litter – Premium
These experts have been in the market for around 35 years and know how to make the right cat litter formulation. The pros always outweigh the cons in the case of Dr. Elsey’s products.
- The clumping action is brilliant
- The dust and tracking is very minimal
- It is easy to scoop
- It is free from plant proteins that are detrimental to some cats
- No artificial perfumes or dyes
- It is a little pricey than others (but worth it)
- Not completely scent-free – has its own natural smell.
24. Purina Yesterday’s Unscented Recycled Newspaper Cat Litter
This product is one of the best eco-friendly cat litter that you can find in the market. It is made of recycled paper that doesn’t agitate your cat and also has no scent to hurt their respiratory system.
- 2 times more moisture absorption than clay litter
- 99% dust-free
- Low-tracking and no fine particles
- Unscented- safe for cats with breathing track issues
- Particles do not fall through the scoop easily so cleaning is a lengthy process
- The company’s packing of the litter is not satisfactory
- The litter falls apart if your cat has a habit of scratching it.
25. SmartCat Natural Grass seed Clumping Litter
Completely made of grass seed, this unscented clumping clay will provide a good environment for your cat to do his business and also makes your cleaning job much easier than usual.
- Biodegradable and eco-friendly
- No artificial odor and no dust
- Lightweight and easy disposal
- It is not non-trackable
- A little pricey
- The grass seed smell is evident.
Best Cat Litter Buying Guide
Clumping or Non Clumping
People are often confused about clumping and non-clumping clay. The non-clumping clay has been in the market for a long time. It is absorbent and also needs frequent disposal. You will find that the urine sinks to the bottom of the tray. On the contrary, clumping clay traps the urine and feces and you can easily scoop it up and dispose of it less frequently. It’s better to go for the clumping cat litter box if you are new cat parents.
Natural alternatives as cat litter ingredients will not only keep you and your health, but also the nature around you. If you can buy one that is biodegradable, you can reuse it as manure for your plants and that’s your money put into good use. You are doing nature a favor.
Scented / Unscented
Buying a scented or unscented cat litter box depends on your cat’s preferences. While some happily embrace the scented litter boxes, the others reject it. You need to know your cat’s liking, do a little experimenting before buying. Also, scented litter can be harmful for cats with respiratory problems. Find the best cat litter accordingly.
Even if your cat litter says it is flushable, it is always good to test the granule size. They need to be really fine if you want them down the drain. So if you are planning to buy one that is flush-able, check the granule size.
You should buy cat litter boxes that have absorbent Pads. These pads are capable of converting the liquid urine into a gel formula for quick disposal and less spreading. They keep odor under control and you will find that the cleaning is easy.
The self-cleaning litter boxes are the best cat litter equipment for those who like a Hands-off approach. You still have to do some work but you won’t be touching the faeces and urine directly. That’s a relief, isn’t it?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is cat litter environment friendly?
Yes, They are if you choose the right ingredients. Instead of going for granules having a synthetic origin, the ones made of newspaper, Fuller’s clay, nutshells, natural wood, and wheat are eco-friendly and biodegradable.
What is the best way to dispose off cat litter?
Though some products promise that flushing the litter won’t block your drainage, I suggest that the best way of disposal is throwing them in the trash. Take a good scoop and organize your urine and faecal deposits before rightly emptying them in the trash can. Some litters can be used as composts if they are made of natural ingredients like Fuller’s earth. You can use them to manure your plants (only after good research).
How often should the litter be changed?
It depends on what your litter is made of. If you are using the clay one, you can replace it once a week. The clumping litter needs a change every two or three weeks if you manage to keep your litter box tidy everyday. If you have more than one cat, you might want to clean your litter boxes every alternate day. Also, you should pick the faeces every day and dispose of them so that your cat will have a good littering experience.
The demands of every feline creature differ. What might seem like one’s comfort zone will be detrimental for others. For instance, you cannot clean your litter boxes with citrus detergents. They can be detrimental to cats. Some like the scented litters while others like to keep it close to nature. The best cat litter is the one that your cat likes and that’s what you should be looking for. Of course, not to forget the no-odor and no-spilling requirements. Once your cat adjusts and doesn’t reject his litter box, know that you’ve found the best cat litter for him.