Table of Contents
Tracking down fleas on your cats is not easy as they hide under the fur coat. Even indoor cats can easily have fleas! So if you observe your cat scratching, itching, or losing hair, you can use a flea comb to check. If you ignore the problem, it can lead to many other issues, such as anaemia, tapeworm, and haemobartonellosis and further can have harmful effects on your fur baby.
Well, you don’t have to panic if you have spotted a flea on your car. Just keep calm as there are many cat shampoo for fleas in the market to help you get rid of the problem. We have reviewed a list of 7 best cat shampoo for fleas and a complete buying guide to help you decide.
7 Best Cat Shampoo For Fleas- Reviews!
We have been able to do the hard part for you while selecting the best cat shampoo for fleas. After our detailed research on the best cat shampoo for fleas available in the market, we have come up with a list of products from which you may choose. We are also giving you brief characteristics along with pros & cons, which may help you decide on the best cat shampoo.
1. Adams Plus Tick & Flea Shampoo
Adams plus has come first on our list because of a reason. It works not only on fleas but is effective in removing ticks and lice as well. It also prevents further development of fleas in your cat fur as it contains an insect growth regulator. It is an ideal solution to parents of both cats & dogs as it works equally well on both species.
- Safe for your dog, cat, puppy, or kitten, equally effective on all of them.
- Prevents further development of fleas due to its Insect Growth Regulator Formula
- Active for almost 28 days
- Not only clears fleas, but flea eggs, larvae, lice and ticks
- After a bath, the cat’s coat looks glossy and smooth
- A small segment of people found some side effects after the bath.
2. Jackie Doodles Shampoo
Jackie Doodles shampoo comes with no thickener making the bath easy for you and your cat. The product is made from organic ingredients making it one of the most healthy and best cat shampoo. Jackie doodles shampoo moisturizes skin leaving your cat & kittens fresh and without any itchy skin.
- No side effects, safe for both cats & kittens
- Leaves your cat fresh after the bath with no or minimal smell
- Moistens the skin removing any dryness that may cause further problem
- Easy to bathe your cat due to the absence of any thickener.
- You may use it along with other products as not very useful in removing fleas.
3. Vet-Kem Ovitrol Plus Shampoo
Ovitral Plus is one of the best-rated shampoos that will give you the satisfaction that this is the right product for your cat. Its rich, creamy texture gives your cat a wholesome bathing experience by conditioning the fur coat at the same time. The shampoo is equally effective in removing lice along with fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae.
- Prevents infestation of the flea for up to four weeks
- Effective in washing off flea, flea larvae, flea eggs, lice.
- Leaves the fur coat smooth and conditioned
- Fresh fragrance, leaving the house without any smell.
- It is not best for kittens due to the containment of Pyrethrin.
4. Zodiac Tick & Flea Shampoo
As the name suggests, Zodiac Tick & Flea shampoo is effective in getting rid of Tick & Lice along with Flea. The shampoo contains coconut conditioner that leaves your cat skin moistened and removes most of the bugs that irritate your cat.
- Contains coconut conditioners leaving a moisturised fur coat
- Equally effective on Tick, Fleas and Lice.
- One of the few shampoos that are effective both for dogs & cats
- The formula used is pH balanced.
- May not be suitable for kittens aged below 12 weeks due to Pyrethrin
- A small segment has claimed that the shampoo causes itching.
5. Lambert Kay Fresh ‘n Clean Shampoo
Lambart Kay’s shampoo is effective in clearing all the bugs from your cat’s skin. The shampoo leaves your pet with a fresh fragrance after a bath that stays for up to two weeks. The shampoo contains Pyrethrin which may not be suitable for kittens below the age of 12 weeks, and however since most of the ingredients are natural, the shampoo claims to be chemical-free.
- Effective in getting rid of all bugs equally including fleas, lice, and tick
- Fresh fragrance that stays for up to two weeks
- Suitable for both cats & dogs
- May not be suitable for small cats due to the presence of Pyrethrin.
6. Triple Action Tick & Flea Shampoo
Triple action is said to contain protein conditioners that leave the skin of your pet dog or cat healthy. Apart from fleas and lice, the shampoo is equally useful for dandruff and scales from your cat’s skin. It leaves the cat fresh and healthy after a bath making sure the pet is happy.
- Contains protein conditioners leaving skin healthy
- Effective is getting rid of fleas, lice, tick, dandruff and scales
- Conditions and restores the luster & adds smoothness to the fur coat
- Cannot be used on pets below aged 12 weeks.
7. RX4 Cat Shampoo
RX4 is one of the best vet recommended shampoo as it is made from organic natural ingredients. The shampoo can treat itchy skin, along with other skin problems primarily focussing on fleas, tick & lice. Since most of the ingredients used are organic, it may alleviate the skin problems for some time but may not clear off all the fleas by themselves.
- Equally suitable for dogs & cats
- Effective in relieving itchy skin problems
- Leaves the fur coat smooth & shiny
- You might have to use it along with other products due to its mild formula for effective results.
Buyers Guide On Best Cat Shampoo For Fleas
You need to consider multiple factors before buying the best cat shampoo for fleas. Not all cats are the same, and therefore we need to choose the one that is going to work for our pet. Pet market is flooded with a lot of options, so how do you narrow down your search? Here, we have noted down a few pointers for you to refer which will help you make the right choice!
Choosing a natural or an organic cat shampoo for fleas is a good idea. However, they can be mild and therefore might not be very effective in an aggravated situation. Check on the intensity of ailment and choose accordingly.
Not all, shampoos are effective on all cats & kittens equally. As you would have noticed in our product comparison, there are shampoos that are suitable for all, whereas some have been advised to be used on cats and kittens above the age of 12 weeks due to the presence of Pyrethrin. Kittens have delicate and sensitive skin and therefore, Not all shampoos for cats can be used on kittens as well!
Your cat’s skin may be sensitive to certain chemicals and this is where this buying guide comes in handy to choose the best cat shampoo for fleas. There are certain chemicals that may irritate your cat skin and leave her itchier than ever before.
So, you may need to first visit your vet and understand the particular chemicals your cat is sensitive to and accordingly make your buying decision. The vet knows your cat’s medical history and can suggest you if you need to buy a strong formula shampoo or vice versa.
You would need to evaluate the problem of your cat first before making your buying decision. The cat may have minor fleas or even larvae or eggs and not a major infestation. There are times when your cat is itchy and may need only a wash.
However, in case there are major infestations of fleas, you may need a strong formula shampoo to clear the same. Also you may need to decide on whether the cat is smelly and you need a shampoo with a strong fragrance to diffuse the bad smell. This is eventually the most important point before choosing the best cat shampoo for fleas as there could be a scenario of heavy infestation or no fleas at all.
I would recommend all my readers to first invest in a good flea comb and run it regularly on your cat to be sure of any flea infections. Regular baths and checkups will make sure feline skin is healthy and safe. If you are unsure which flea shampoo will work for your pet, talk to your vet for guidance.
I would end the post and hope the information shared will guide you to buy the best cat shampoo for fleas.